Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Marines' Best Friend

This sketch, entitled, "Marines' Best Friend, was painted on location during WWII by U.S. Marine Corps artist Donald Dickson. It struck me as odd because it is not the kind of heroic -- or even high action-- art that is usually associated with commemorating wars. For this reason, I find it more authentic and more honest. The sketch depicts a rugged Marine intently cleaning his gun. I've heard numerous stories of the relationship that develops between a soldier and his gun; sometimes men even go so far as to name their weapons. This drawing depicts something of this relationship, and, although it evidently takes place during the height of a war, reveals a moment of peace.

1 comment:

  1. I have a copy of this drawing. It was. My grandfathers scrap book. It is sketched on the back of a random book page. Where did these originate?

    ReplyDelete